Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:21:24 -0500
From:      Victor Cheung <victorch@softwareguaranty.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Trying to install 3.1 Release...

Hello!

I'm trying to setup the following on my home PC:

primary master:		6.4GB IDE with Windows 95B (FAT32)  (C:\)
secondary master:	6.4GB IDE (FAT32) -- storage drive (D:\)
secondary slave:	3.2GB IDE (165) FreeBSD 3.1 Release (previously
my E:\ drive)

I've tried twice already (via FTP install), but I can't get it to work
the way I want.  I would like to be able to choose at boot-time which OS
to run (Win95 or FreeBSD).

The first time I installed FreeBSD, I chose to dedicate the entire
secondary slave drive to FreeBSD (ie. "dangerously dedicated"), only to
realize at the end of installing, I wasn't prompted about installing any
boot manager.  And as expected, my computer loaded Win95 as usual upon
reboot (only difference is that it can't see the secondary drive
anymore).

The second time installing FreeBSD, I chose the other "true partition"
option (ie. it split the physical 3.2GB drive into 3 partitions: first
and last partitions very small, the middle partition for FreeBSD).  This
time I was prompted about installing a boot manager and I chose the
option that would do this (the other two options were install a normal
MBR, and not to do anything at all, or something like that).  Anyhow,
after installing and rebooting, my computer loaded into Win95 again with
no trace of any 'boot manager'.

My questions now are:  Does the install process assume the user will
install on the primary master drive only? (ie. partition the C: drive)

How can I achieve, if possible, the setup I described?  (incidentally, a
friend of mine suggested using System Commander... I'd prefer using a
boot manager native to FreeBSD to do this though)

Thanks in advance!  This is my first time trying to setup FreeBSD to
co-exist with Win 95 (or any other OS for that matter).

--Victor

P.S.:
On a side note, after my first FreeBSD ("dangerously dedicated")
install, I tried loading FreeBSD by changing the boot sequence in my
BIOS to 'run' the secondary slave drive first instead of the usual
'floppy drive, primary master drive' sequence.  Well, this worked up to
a point, then it got some error (about mounting or something) and
stopped.  I assumed the error was related to the positioning of the
drives and then decided to install again (trying to get the boot manager
this time).  That is, my assumption was if I had opened my computer to
physically connect the FreeBSD drive in place of the primary master --
it would have worked.  Can anyone confirm this?