Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:01:28 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: svgalib?

>> From what I have seen, most people not only have a lot of trouble with
>> setting up their video card for X, but have even more trouble with their
>> mice, especially if it is a PS/2 mouse.  Those critters seem to give lots
>> of headaches to new users.
>
>My video card setup was a breeze, but I never did get my mouse working as
>a PS/2 . . . probably because I had a spare serial port and a serial
>adapter for the mouse (a Logitech MouseMan, and a very nice mouse indeed),
>and so I took the easy way out.

Hmm, it is very easy to set up the PS/2 mouse either for XFree86 or
moused, so long as this rule is followed:

When you connect the mouse to the PS/2 mouse port, specify "PS/2" as
the protocol type REGARDLESS of the model and manufacturer of the
mouse.

This is clearly stated in the man page of XF86Config(4/5). Various
README files also say the user should refer to this man page.  But
unfortunately s/he either doesn't read it or doesn't know his/her
mouse is of the PS/2 type...

Kazu

PS: I am currently working on mouse drivers and moused so that moused
and XFree86 will be identify appropriate mouse protocol automatically.