Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:04:30 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Tyler Spivey <tyler@wapvi.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sony cdu

Tyler Spivey wrote:

> i never saw a single thing about a cdrom.
> i dont know the port/irq/drq/flags of my sound card.. i
> left the port, used userconfig to set irq 5 drq 1 flags 15.. anyone
> know the default port? these kernels are so hard!

They really aren't hard but they do take some time to document your
system. The newer sound cards only require something like "device pcm"
and everything works. My older SB-16 sound card also required that I
add the line

device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15

Into my kernel config. That is the usual defaults on a SoundBlaster
16. Try adding the "port 0x220" and see if that helps. The flags is
the secondary DMA channel and 0x15 is different than 15.

FWIW, that system has an Adaptec AHA-152x in it and I haven't been
able to get that to work. It goes off to la-la land during the boot.
Some of the text on the card is so small that I have a round light
with a magnifier in the center but that won't fit inside of the
assembled PC :). When I need one of my scanner's, I have to boot to
Win98se until the old Adaptec scsi card works.

Kent

> On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Kent Stewart wrote:

<snip>
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html