Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 1995 20:31:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Subject:   Re: Am I dreaming?

> However, I do feel compelled to note that the inability to do this kind
> of thing easily only underscores the abominable evil that is the whole
> UNIX filesystem paradigm (as if ioctl() wasn't enough to already convince
> us of this! :-).

You want the DMIG spec, the Data Management Interfaces Group's specification
for filesystem hooks to be used by user processes.  I mean, if you're going
to do it, you may as well do it in a standard fashion.  I have a copy of
the 2.0 draft spec that I can place on wcarchive, if there's interest
(it's 352k of gzipped postscript), and you can also find it via ftp on
ftp://acsc.com/pub/dmig/v2.0.

No, I'm not volunteering, I just don't have time, but I thought I would
mention it.  If you guys do go this way, I would suggest implementing
the parts that would be immediately useful (i.e. synchronous namespace
events), and saving the rest for another time.  There are bits that would
be more easily implemented, (although the scaffolding would have to be
there early on).  I seem to remember that an earlier draft also had
optional and mandatory bits, as well, although that may well have changed
by now.

I may do part of this on my own time, if and when I have time for it.
If I do, I'll contribute it.
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com