Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:08:32 -0500
From:      Bibudh Lahiri <bibudh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-i386@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD 7.1 from a DOS partition

Hi,
   I'm trying to install FreeBSD 7.1 on the D: drive of my Windows XP
machine. I've FTPed the entire content of
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/7.1-RELEASE/ to my D: drive=
.
Section 2.13.4 ("Installing from an MS-DOS=AE Partition") of the following
webpage

   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/install-diff-media.html

says "the BIN distribution is the only one required for a minimum
installation." Can someone explain what the BIN distribution is and where i=
it located on the FTP server?

   I do not see any BIN folder in the contents I downloaded. Moreover, I
read from the following URL

   that once I've copied the directories, I can simply launch the
installation from floppies as normal and select "DOS" as my media type when
the time comes. But changing the boot option to "Floppy Drive" makes the
boot fail.

    Any suggestion?
   Thanks in advance
                          Bibudh