Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 20:11:27 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Subnetting

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, David Nugent wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Ben Black wrote:
>
> >http://www.jensen.com/subnet/
>
> (Good, useful page - thanks Ben)
>
> Which prompts my next question, since this is going to take a
> little dns reorganisation to simplify...
>
> Is there any way - other than using ip aliases on the machines in
> question (a couple of them simply don't have that capability
> since they're running relatively dumb operating systems) - of
> "remapping" an incoming packet from one IP address to another?
> This would only be for a few days, until the dns updates
> propogates.
I guess you mean let a relatively smart O.S. do the remapping for the
dumb ones?
If you have the "dumb" machines behind a FreeBSD router, I think
IPfilter, and its ipnat utilities can do the trick. I vaguely remember
that I read it can do it in the documentation when I installed it, but
I'm not sure what configurations exactly it supports. You should consider
just waiting for the DNS propogation though, because IPfilter is not that
easy to master...

> Regards,
> David
>
> David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
> Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
> davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn

Nadav