Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:02:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   new port x11/puff--testers needed

Its man page says:

       Puff  is  intended  for  people who need text and graphics
       displayed at a high magnification factor.  Typically users
       will  want both the pointer and text to be tracked as they
       work.

       Puff follows the pointer (aka mouse), magnifying a part of
       the  screen under the cursor.  In addition, puff can moni-
       tor the X11 protocol of X clients and magnify  the  region
       where  graphics  were last drawn.  By monitoring a program
       like xterm, puff can follow the text cursor automatically.
       Puff  switches  focus  between  the  pointer  and graphics
       depending on which was last active.

       In order to track the protocol of X clients, puff sets  up
       a  false  server  on  the  machine that it is executed on.

The magnification works for me, but the monitoring and following doesn't.
When I try the examples given in the man page, puff crashes.  I've
appended the output of "truss puff" while I crash it by doing "xclock
-display 0:1" (I have FreeBSD 4.0 from 26 May, and XFree86 4.0).  I'm
wondering whether the feature works for anyone else.

The port is at http://jpj.net/~trevor/freebsd/ports/puff.shar .

syscall break(0x8751000)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall select(0x374,0xbfbff578,0xbfbff5f8,0xbfbff678,0xbfbff724)
        returns 2 (0x2)
syscall read(0x372,0x806c800,0x800)
        returns 12 (0xc)
syscall write(883,0x806c800,12)
        returns 12 (0xc)
syscall accept(0x4,0xbfbff708,0xbfbff704)
        errno 23 'Too many open files in system'
syscall sigprocmask(0x1,0x28065040,0x28065050)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall sigprocmask(0x3,0x28065050,0x0)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall sigprocmask(0x1,0x28065040,0x28065050)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall sigprocmask(0x3,0x28065050,0x0)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall sigprocmask(0x1,0x28065040,0x28065050)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall sigprocmask(0x3,0x28065050,0x0)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall sigprocmask(0x1,0x28065040,0x28065050)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall sigprocmask(0x3,0x28065050,0x0)
        returns 0 (0x0)
Error - Can't connect to Client, at snoop.c:193: Too many open files in