Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 1995 13:20:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bugs@ns1.win.net (Mark Hittinger)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new pci setup on EISA box :-) (fwd)

> Re: new -current EISA hangs in pci probe:
>
> >  Stefan Esser writes;
> > 1) Is this a PCI + EISA box, or pure EISA ?
>
> Pure EISA with above 16mb DMA bug

FYI: The EISA spec requires DMA above 16M to work correctly.  If your EISA
box doesn't do this, it's not an EISA box.  Period.  The connectors do not
define EISA, the spec does.

I'm betting this is a NiCE or other motherboard with a HiNT chipset.

I think you will have to build a new kernel to work around the problem
(by forcing the use of bounce buffers).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---