Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 2006 19:17:32 +0100
From:      "Patrik Roos" <patrik@lolikon.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble with pcn0 (network card)

Greetings,

I recently received two network cards from my dad, and thought I'd
make a firewall. The box used is running FreeBSD 6.0, and has had a
3com card (xl0) in it the past five years, which has been and still is
working well.

After installing one of the new cards, it shows up like this in ifconfig:

pcn0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::260:b0ff:fece:cdf0%pcn0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        ether 00:60:b0:ce:cd:f0
        status: active

dmesg gives:

pcn0: <AMD PCnet/PCI 10/100BaseTX> port 0x10a0-0x10bf mem 0xe8000400-0xe800=
041f
pcn0: Chip ID 2623 (Am79C971)

Now, I've tried connecting this card to two different computers and an
"internet gateway" using both normal cables and cross-wired thingies,
and while the LEDs are blinking happily, it simply refuses to send
anything across the link (ping says "host unreachable"). I tried
switching cards (since I had two) and I get the same thing. Note that
it's possible to ping the card internally, just not across the
cable(s). I also tried putting the cable in the xl0 instead, and it's
working fine.

After some Googling, I noticed other people are having trouble with
pcn0, so I started thinking it might be a bug in the driver, which
apparently showed up after 4.3.

In any case, help would be appreciated.

Regards,
  Patrik Roos