Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 18:31:31 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird problems with on-board Adaptec 7880

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:38:36AM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> It really depends on how the MB is wired.  Some MBs don't allow any
> software control of the termination from the aic7xxx chip.  Since I
> haven't used your board, I can't say.

According to the motherboard's manual, the termination is controlled by
software. However, there is also a jumper onboard labeled "Autoterm".
I think that this jumper was removed on later revisions of the motherboard
(Iwill PIILS).

> I'm on my way out of town so I will not be able to look at these until
> next Monday.  In the mean time, can you send me one last log with each
> of the 16 devices set to a different transfer rate.  It is much easier
> to look at a single dump that shows all possible speeds (highest to lowest),
> then to piece together 5 different logs that don't cover all of the
> possible settings.

I thought that you also wanted to analyze the correlation between the
speed settings and the speed negotiated with the DLT. But if you are only
interested in the correlation between the SCSIselect settings and the
SEEPROM contents, then a single dump is easier indeed :-). Well, I
configured targets 0-7 narrow and 8-15 wide, in both cases from lowest
(async) to highest (20 MHz) speeds:

Serial EEPROM:
         0xb0e5 0xb0e6 0xb0ec 0xb0ee 0x8629 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff
         0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff
         0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff
         0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff 0xbfff

Serial EEPROM:
         0xc394 0xc39c 0xc39a 0xc399 0xc398 0xc3da 0xc3d9 0xc3d8
         0xc3b3 0xc3bc 0xc3ba 0xc3b9 0xc3b8 0xc3fa 0xc3f9 0xc3f8
         0x18a6 0x1c5e 0x2807 0x10 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff
         0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0xffff 0x991b

The SCSI BIOS version is 2.10. With respect to termination settings, the
only difference between the two possible choices ("High ON/Low Auto" and
"High OFF/Low OFF" is at row 3, column 2 (2nd block): 0x1c5e and 0x1c5a
respectively.

I attached the CD-ROM and CD-RW drives again to this damn SCSI bus. This
is the bus arrangement now (and what I originally intended):

                   ext. SCSI cable            50-way flat cable
active -- DLT 4000 --------------- micro SCSI ----------------- 50-pin MB
 term.  (centronics)               connector                    connector

                                                                AIC7880
                                                            (High ON/Low Auto)

                     68-way flat cable        68-way flat cable     |
               CD-RW ----------------- CD-ROM ----------------- 68 pin MB
              (term'd)                                          connector

Both the CD-ROM and the CD-RW drives are connected using wide-to-narrow
connector adapters (I also tried to connect both drives using the 50-way
narrow cable and nothing changed). And this is what I get after setting
all the SCSIselect settings to their default values:

sa0 at ahc2 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
sa0: <Quantum DLT4000 D782> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 5.813MB/s transfers (5.813MHz, offset 15)        <--- should be 10 MHz
cd0 at ahc2 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
cd0: <PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS 1.11> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 5.813MB/s transfers (5.813MHz, offset 15)        <--- should be 20 MHz
cd1 at ahc2 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
cd1: <PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W1210S 1.01> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd1: 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 15)        <--- should be 20 MHz

Data transfers do not work, of course :-(

One more question: why a simple command such as "mt status" never
timeouts? It just hangs forever (or perhaps the default timeout is very
long). Actually, any try to transfer anything through that SCSI bus gets
blocked. Even a "camcontrol reset 2:[345]" gets blocked (though a
"camcontrol reset 2" works).

I also tried "camcontrol negotiate 2:3 -R 20 -a" (for example), and it
negotiates 20 Mbps/20 MHz (as reported by "camcontrol inquiry 2:3"). I
don't know if this means anything.

Thank you very much for your support and patience ;-)

   Regards,
   JMA
--
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **