Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:57:37 +0200
From:      Christian Haan <chn@intego.de>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i4b and CAPI

Hi,

I know that this topic has already been spoken about in this list. But since it
has been some time (years) ago I would like to raise it again, because of the
already or soon to be released CAPI-drivers for Linux - I'm talking about
passive
cards here. I think there will be a lot of applications on linux using capi in
one
way or the other.
Therefor it will become very important for *BSD to have this feature too, I
think.

After reading the CAPI specification for UNIX I too noticed that it's STREAMS
based. But there's also an approved document for CAPI on Linux (AK1-148) which
defines a higher level abstraction than the CAPI specification for UNIX. With this
new CAPI for Linux there is no longer a need to support STREAMS because all
applications will be linked to a libcapi which handles the operating system
specific details.

I would very much like to get a feedback to see how many people are interested in
a CAPI implementation for *BSD.

Christian
       Christian Haan		Intego GmbH
Tel  : +49-9131-691-3823	Am Weichselgarten 7
Fax  : +49-9131-691-3829	91058 Erlangen
Email: chn@intego.de		GERMANY