Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:45:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Question about serial console cableing

	I am trying to set up a machine with a serial console. I am having a
	bit of trouble. I have read the README.serial in
	/usr/src/sys/i386/boot/bisoboot. It looks pretty straightfoward.
	Howeverr I did get my self in an interesting position by puting -h in
	/boot.config before I had thouroughly checked everything out. I have
	now recovered from that, however.

	Here is the situation. I had com1 set up for a serial mouse, so I know
	it works. I diasble moused in /etc/rc.conf. I have a wyse terminal that
	I had pluged inot a terminal server, so I know it works. It's set to
	9600 1 stop and no parity. I have tried both with and without a null
	modem, but I can't seem to get any communications to the terminal. I
	turned on the getty for serial port 1 in /etc/ttys, rebooted, and I
	still don't see a login prompt.

	Here is the questiom, what handshaking is FreeBSD expecting? Hardwar
	(DTR/DSR) software (XON/XOFF), both?

	Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

	BTW with the -h flag in boot.config, the machine hangs very early in
	the boot process. rtx_loader or something like that, I think.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955
Factory Automation Systems