Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:06:59 +0100
From:      mess-mate <messmate@free.fr>
To:        "freebsd-questions-en" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: legacy ISA  IDE controller card

On Monday 11 February 2002 06:00, you wrote:
| At 11:20 PM 2/10/02 -0500, Noone Here wrote:
| >i have an old ISA controller card which i wanted to use so i can
| > go beyond the 4 IDE drives my pc handles onboard. are there any
| > special considerations? would /stand/sysinstall see this
| > additional controller and any drives(s) attached to it? or would
| > it be better to install it "by hand" - and if so, how?
| >
| >is it possible, if i had more than one of these ISA controller
| > cards, to use them all? how many IDE drives can i hook up this
| > way on one machine? i was imagining some kind of raid/vinum thing
| > with a slew of cheapo disks.
|
| It's been a while since I've used one of these, so my memory may be
| foggy on this. Anyone, please feel free to correct me.
|
| Unless the card has its own on-board BIOS - and I have never seen
| an old legacy ISA controller that did, though some of the newest
| ISA controllers may have one - the drives are detected by the
| system BIOS, so I assume you cannot have more than 4 drives.=20

IMHO, you'r right.

(Or
| whatever your system's limits is - some can only take 2.) I've
| never tried to push this limit myself, though, so it's possible it
| will do what you're hoping.
|
| I'd be interested in hearing if the OS could actually see a drive
| that the BIOS does not know about.=20

I don't think so. And the BIOS MUST HAVE a PNP extension.
I know there where someones who's deactivated the PnP in their bios=20
with a pnp card on board.
It never worked for me ! Have 2 pnp card's, work's fine with other=20
OS, but didn't test it with FBSD at now. Shall doit next week.

If it can, you can probably load
| up the system with as many controllers as the system's resources
| will allow and not have any trouble.
|
| All I can say is, plug in 5 hard disks and see if it works. Perhaps
| someone else has actually tried this already and can offer
| something more substantive.
|
| Beware of conflicts with your ISA devices - choose your settings
| carefully.

Don't forget to install the isapnp tools.

|          Matt

--=20
mess-mate