Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 00:34:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        David =?iso-8859-1?Q?L=E1zaro?= <khelekir@encomix.es>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Convince me, please...

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, David [iso-8859-1] L=E1zaro wrote:

> I have been using Linux 4 years now (exactly 4, this days would be the
> aniversary) but I feel something about BSD.  Maybe that cute daemon is
> trying to convince me... :)

Estimado Amigo - tenga raso'n!

>=20
> I am very slow at taking decissions so, please, if you want send me some
> mail messages that obligate me to change.
>=20
> I must say that you can abuse of tech/hacker (in the good sense, heh?)
> language, I would appreciate technical reasons more than the mere
> ennuciation that the Linux penguin sucks (which is certainly true, IMHO)
> and that the daemon is sooooooo cute (it must be the daemon :) nice
> propaganda, boys!).
>=20
> The reason of all this is because I am getting tired of the Linux
> constant state of change...  They do very hard core changes too often.
>=20
> As a side note: Any pointers for Laptop support?
>=20

The answer is actually very simple - but needs many words to be complete

The 1 word answer is:

ROBUSTNESS

and my best explaination on what that means in the next short way of
answering is this:

Im the guy HERE that has to stop his life when the beeper goes off because
something isnt working, be it a decent hour, or late at night, whether Im
at dinner, making love, at the theatre, whatever, AND I DONT LIKE THAT!

When we used Linux (and Im ashamed to admit we did)  my beeper was my
foremost enemy - now I often forget I have one.

The long technical reason is:

The system is top to bottom optimized for max use of the available
hardware with max thruput, in a controlled enough environment for
consistancy (or consistant expectation of performance anyways), and for
minimal downtime.. AND for ease of recovery when the worse case scenario
just happens to be the one you are looking at at 3 in the morning.

I HAVE piled 3 to 10 times more workload on THE SAME hardware that used to
run linux, on a freebsd machine and have had that freebsd machine still
hum along like it could use something more to do.

Ive had a few noses go up so high I could count the hairs.. all because
linux gets more PR.. and my rebut has always been.. bill gates gets even
more PR - how often does your win95 desktop crash even under light loads?

To me.. it doesnt mean a tinkers damn what anyone else thinks of
anything.. what matters to me is how much problem something gives me, how
much performance I get.. the bang for the buck! (which reminds me - Im
overdue to get my company to SEND THE FREEBSD PEOPLE SOME MORE FINANCIAL
SUPPORT! - If yours doesnt, SMACK THEM!  They make money from it - they
need to give some back! - (Im not affiliated with the freebsd
people/project.. Im just DAMN glad they exist!))

The way freebsd handles virtual memory, disk caching, process timing, YOU
NAME IT, is far and away a better, faster, way less crashy approach than
any other operating systems we've tried.

I dont love companies, or brand names, or system types, trends or sales
hype.. I love a full nights sleep, a full day off, uninterrupted romance,
and cost containment.