Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:31:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 faster!?

Craig Boston <craig@meoqu.gank.org> wrote:
 > On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 14:44, Johannes Hofmann wrote:
 > > I just upgraded from 4.6 Release to -STABLE (Jun 27 21:42:28).
 > > My X feels much snappier now. Any ideas what might cause that?
 >
 > Have you filed a PR on this?  I'm sure this is an issue that we would
 > like to get resolved by 4.7-RELEASE if at all possible.

First of all -- yes, I noticed the sarcasm.

While the speed improvement that Johannes experienced is
certainly desirable and should not be reversed, it _is_
somewhat important to find out what caused it.  Because
if the cause is unknown, then it could disappear one day
(maybe at the next update), rendering the system slower
again, and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it
because you have no clue what it is.

For what it's worth, I have no clue what it is, either.

For the above reason, it is always preferable to know the
causes for any changes in system behaviour, no matter if
it changes in a positive or negative way.  Computers are
not magic, and software is not voodoo.  Everything has a
cause.

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  "Every sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."  (Unfortunately I don't
remember who said that.)