Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:53:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache root exploitable?

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 01:28:18PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > > After all, even if it is `only' a DoS, it will probably get hit a
> > > lot once someone writes a Code Red-like worm for the Win32 version.
> > > History tells us that such worms don't bother to check the operating
> > > system or version that is running before attacking, and I would expect
> > > apache < 1.3.26 servers to experience a lot of downtime as a result.
> > > :-)
> >
> > It isn't a very serious DoS though.
>
> Code Red and friends didn't even tickle a bug (in non-Microsoft
> servers), yet choked many non-Microsoft down due to the sheer number
> of requests.

The vast majority of servers were not seriously impacted.  Ones with
large numbers of IP based virutal hosts were hit harder, but the
typical server really wasn't impacted other than all the admins sending
all sorts of mail to mailing lists saying "help me help me I'm under
attack".

> A `Code Red for Win32 Apache Chunking' would probably
> not spread as much (unless there is way more Win32 Apache than I
> think), but the number of requests generated could still be large ---
> and have special impact on Apache < 1.3.26 servers.

The bug can be exploited on various Unix platforms as well.