Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 07:44:51 -0400
From:      Rohit Dube <rohit@cs.UMD.EDU>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@current1.whistle.com>
Cc:        rohit@cs.UMD.EDU, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Giant Sized Ethernet Packets

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:36:14 -0700 (PDT) julian@current1.whistle.com writes:
=>
=>funny you should mentionned that..
=>we use the above mentionned hardware to produce GIANT packets
=>on a proprietary network..  your packets are basically normal
=>
=>Our packets are 15.5KB. i.e. 10x noraml size.
=>If you look in the DE driver you will see references
=>to #ifdef BIG_PACKET
=>these are for us (TRW)

Would it be possible for you or hasty@rah-stargate.com (Amancio)
to send me a patch so that I could add this code to the standard
FreeBSD 'de' driver.

Note that the packets don't have to be 802.3 compliant as far as
size goes. My application requires me to take a standard ethernet
packet (which could be upto 1500 bytes) add some extra headers,
encapsulate the orignal packet + extra header into another (possibly
Giant) ethernet frame and send (receive) it onto (from) the wire.

=>
=>
=>ohhhhh  yeaaaahhhhh, 1550? just change the mtu :)

I will give that a shot as soon as my internal network is up.
However as dg@root.com (David) mentioned, this could create a problem.

=>
=>Our stuff requires a little differnt programming of the chip.
=>

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Rohit.
(rohit@cs.umd.edu)

PS: Please CC any repsonses to rohit@cs.umd.edu. I have limited internet
    connectivity and therefore am currently not subscribed to the
    hackers list.