Date:      Mon, 22 May 1995 10:27:15 -0400
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Diagnostics for a hanging machine?

	The ACM student chapter at Virginia Tech has a FreeBSD machine for
our members use which I administrate.  Recently FreeBSD was installed on
this machine in favor of NetBSD, and we are experiencing frequent machine
hangs.  It appears the hangs are hardware related, as they also occurred in
NetBSD.  Unfortunately what happens is the machine gets frozen on a vty,
and does not go through a clean reboot.  Does anyone know of a diagnostic
utility that could either constantly spew information to disk, or
(preferably) across the net to a machine that's more stable so we can find
out what's going on?  Any help whatsoever is appreciated; we really need to
get the machine stable.  Thanks!

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead  -> Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research -
                 -> Multiple Platform System and Network Administration