Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 18:34:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> > user-chrooting would be excellent.  Chrooting MUAs / web browsers / etc
> > would be a nice feature no matter how secure the program in question seems
> > to be.  If you get it implemented, I'll be the first to use the
> > feature. :)
> >
> > Mike "Silby" Silbersack
>
> Cool :)  I use it, for example, for fuzz; it works quite nicely for that.  I
> think I have taken care of all the possible negative interactions and made
> it safe, so it does need a review, but I'm fairly sure that many people will
> want to be able to do chroot without being root.

There's a difference between "chroot that is safe for normal users to use"
and "chroot that is safe to contain a malicious process".  Having glanced
at these changes before, it may be that they allow normal users to make
use of chroot() without endangering system integrity, but they do not
allow for an effective sandbox for the purposes of security.  Unless
appropriate mandatory inter-process and privilege restrictions are in
place, chroot() should not be used for security purposes, only to allow
for nested file system environments (i.e., compilation, release building,
etc).

Using only chroot() and the ability to execute arbitrary code, it is easy
to break out of a user-initiated sandbox if any processes owned by the
same user are present outside of the sandbox.

  Robert N M Watson