Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:32:03 +0300
From:      "Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Since SquirrelMail Looks Like It Will Never Be Supported Again...

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Leonhardt

On 30/08/2013 22:20, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>> SquirrelMail seems to be forever on hold because of an incompatibility
>> with PHP 5.  So I am going to have to replace it as our Webmail
>> interface.

> I'm a bit confused about this - you seem to be saying that Squirrelmail
> won't work on PHP 5? I've been running it on PHP 5 for years and it's
> being maintained to support changes for the latest 5.4 and 5.5 releases.

My experience with squirrel on PHP 5.x has been that it won't show every
message in the webmail users inbox. People complained about lost mails and
after checking spam filtering etc. I realised that the mails had arrived
into inbox safely. After asking the clients to test another mail client -
Thunderbird, Live mail, etc. The "lost" mails were there. That prompted for
pretty fast substitution of squirrel with something else.

Roundcube with it's snazzy javascript interface is neat, but many
mobile/tablet browsers scale the display instead of doubleclicking. Sadly
there is no free mobile theme for Roundcube, but every single one of those
cost money.

That leaves Imp as the only alternative left, especially if you avoid ToySQL
like a plague.

-Reko