Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:22:13 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Larry Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
Cc:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>, ulf@Alameda.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Verisign, Thawte, Entrust, whom?

At 10:04 AM 10/22/2002, Larry Sica wrote:

>Ok, what about all the other SSL cert providers?  When Ma Bell was found to be a monopoly did you stop using the phone?

The Bell System was a legally granted monopoly. It was never "found"
to be one.

However, I have switched, as much as is possible, away from Qwest, its
offspring. Not only did US West neglect vital maintenance of infrastructure
and defer connections to new customers for more than a year to make
its balance sheet look better before the acquisition, but Qwest (which
acquired it with dot-com stock) likewise cooked the books in collusion
with Global Crossing. The result: a colossal meltdown that may yet lead to
bankruptcy.

Some business with the local phone Nazis is unavoidable, but I do
give other companies my business when I can.

>Doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose to a degree of using certificates.  One wants a third party CA so people will be able to trust your site.

None of the third parties are trustworthy. Any slimeball can get a
certificate, and sites that rip people off have certificates just
like honest ones do. The companies that issue certificates are the
least trustworthy of all. Again, may I remind you that Verisign
committed mail fraud. The Postal Inspector asked me to gather
evidence, and for all I know I may be a witness at some point in
the future. (Of course, since we're under the Dubya administration,
Verisign may get off simply by greasing the right palms. George
and Dick *love* corporate money.)

But I digress. In the real world, the only thing https:// is good
for is encryption. It is no guarantee at all that a site is
trustworthy in any way, shape, or form.

--Brett