Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:08:09 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing the size of dev_t and ino_t

At 4:15 PM -0500 3/10/02, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>In afs/openafs/arla, the "device" (in the above sense of the word)
>is the AFS-volume.  Disk quotas are applied at the AFS-volume-level.
>[...] There is also the concept of "read-only" vs "read-write"
>volumes.  [...] Each read-write volume can also have a "backup
>volume", which is the snapshot of that read-write volume as it
>was at the time of the most recent backup (it is also read-only
>in nature).

The other thing about AFS-volumes is that any given AFS-volume
can be mounted at multiple points in the afs file space.  The
AFS-volume is also the "mountable entity", except that the
administrator of a cell will determine the initial layout of
which volumes are mounted where.  Ie, when administrator of
a single machine decides to include some AFS-cell (by adding
that cell to CellServDB), they are effectively specifying a
list of tens-of-thousands of mounts which are all being done
at one shot.

The upshot of this is that our AFS cell as a specific volume
(vid = 537315822) at /afs/rpi.edu/campus/lang/ruby/1.6.  I
(as a user) can type the command:
     cd ~/private
     fs mkmount myruby -vol 537315822
to get that exact same volume to show up at location
~drosehn/private/myruby

So if I want to compare
     /afs/rpi.edu/campus/lang/ruby/1.6/README
    ~drosehn/private/myruby/README
then the stat call has to have the same st_dev for both of
those files.