Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 10:16:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Annelise Anderson <ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Problems

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Annelise Anderson wrote:

I want to supplement Mr. Robey's answer here...

> The new kernel booted just fine.  I downloaded some *.au files
> and tried
> cat test.au > /dev/pcaudio
> and got "device not configured."  Tried /dev/speaker with the same
> result.  With cat test.au > dev/nca0, it sent the file to the printer.

Again, pca0 is thepc speaker; you want /dev/audio or /dev/dsp0.

Don't forget to do ``./MAKEDEV snd0'' to make the audio devices.

> may have been created in this process.  The only entry in /dev/bak
> was var.  This I deleted and tried copying just one file, /dev/zero,
> to /dev/bak.  This filled up the file system to 109%.  I finally
> found the offending file and deleted it.

/dev/zero is a special device that generates an endless supply of 0's.

Sounds like you had lots of fun in /dev.  You might consider trying to
rebuild the /dev directory so that the devices you deleted/destroyed can
be regenerated.  Don't ask me how to do that though :-)  (lots of MAKEDEV?)

> No doubt some time I will find this very funny, as you may well now.
> Meanwhile I'm puzzled about not being able to make a copy of a device
> file and getting them overwritten.

It's not a god idea to go around``copying'' device files since they are
not normal files, and thus don't react nicely to commands like `cp'.
You can redirect to them, but copy/moving them doesn't work (or make much
sense, IMHO)

> Any explanations of what I did wrong and what's going on would be
> appreciated.

Hope this helps.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant