Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:00:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Looking for INN advice

Hi,

I'll have to set up a newsserver, using FreeBSD 3.4 and INN.
The spool will be ~ 20 Gbyte, almost no binary groups, only
very few alt.* groups, and at peak hours there won't be more
than ~ 100 readers in parallel, I guess, so it's not a very
big server.

However, this is the first time that I have to set up a news
server, and I'm concerned about stability and performance.
I've heard that there were issues with INN and mmap() under
FreeBSD -- have these problems been solved?  Is it safe to run
INN 2.2.2 on FreeBSD 3.4?

By the way, I intend to use CNFS to improve performance.  Does
it make sense to use Soft-updates in this case?

(I've also heard that reader performance is very slow in INN
2.2.x if CNFS is used, because of the format of the overview
DB...  The problem is supposed to be fixed in 2.3, but 2.3 is
still "alpha quality" and not for production...  *sigh*)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)