Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:13:57 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, Mike Allison <mallison@konnections.com>, Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.ua>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: teTeX, latex, Lyx Books

On Mon, Dec 22, 1997 at 09:58:43AM +0200, Nadav Eiron wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
>> As far as opinion goes, I very willing to be proven wrong.  I can easily
>> get the mm macros to do what you said above, PLUS
>>
>> Neatly making lists, embedded lists, lists enumerated automatically with
>> letters (upper/lower case both automatically available) numbers, Roman
>> numerals, and custom designed bullets.  I'm not talking about allowing you
>> do do indent, I'm talking about doing it for you, remembering how many
>> lists are active for you and at what level, what change to make between
>> levels (when you end one sublist and go back to the parent) so that the
>> numbers and the numbering system you asked for when you invoked the list
>> macro works right.
>
> Well, LaTeX knows how to nest lists correctly,

As compared to TeX?  There's no problem in this respect with troff.

> and you can (pretty easily) redefine its bullets to whatever you
> like.

Ditto.

> The Hebrew version even enumerates with Hebrew letters...

No experience here, but it should be trivial.  Now writing backwards
may not be :-)

>> Same thing for chapters, figures, diagrams, etc.  Nothing yo have to
>> remember, it does it all.  I can force this in TeX, but I can't get it all
>> done neatly for me.  Same thing for displays, like computer listings, and
>> all this stuff is available automatically for the table for contents,
>> which I don't have to mark things for, because the macros know I want
>> things like that marked.
>
> Just declare a caption for a table or figure, and it will automatically
> appear in your \listoffigures or \listoftables. All sectional units
> (chapters, sections, subsections, appendices, etc.) automatically appear
> in your \tableofcontents. And, combined with BibTeX it makes citations a
> piece of cake (well, almost), which is alone worth many hours in the kind
> of work I do.

troff will do this too.  Admittedly, I didn't like the way it did it,
so I wrote my own macros, but they were an order of magnitude more
powerful than the macros I was able to get to work under TeX.

>> How about 6 different types of standard headers, some pages, some not, for
>> for formal papers, all sorts of standard things that I want macros to do
>> for me.
>>
>> Tell me that LaTeX does this all for me, not that LateX allows it, and
>> I'll be the first to switch.  I think that TeX is great, I just don't yet
>> see the neat macro support.
>
> I might be biased, but I really learned to love LaTeX. It's true that most
> of what I write is theoretical CS stuff, and I have probably as many greek
> letters as latin ones in it, but I won't trade LaTeX for any WYSIWYG
> thingy (haven't tried LyX, but Word is certainly not an option), and troff
> and friends are too much of a mess to use if you need to write complicated
> math.

That may be about the only area where TeX does have an advantage.  But
I find the fact that you need different names for so many characters a
real pain.

> LaTeX2e has zillions of packages and add ons that will let you do
> almost anything

Yes, that's true, too.

> without working too hard.

But I'm not so convinced about that.