Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:24:21 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using a FreeBSD desktop was somehting about dog food

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 13:24:20 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net> wrote:

> to get rid of X graphics issues on Linux I migrated away from AMD/ATI as
> well as NVIDIA to Intel. For a lengthy period of time using Linux +
> Intel was a pleasure. However, since the Intel X driver isn't maintained
> anymore it's replaced by the modesettings driver. A lot of workarounds
> are needed when using this driver and those do not necessarily help
> very much, you e.g. might need to drop one or the other web browser.
> Hardware video acceleration is tricky, even when using the obsolete
> Intel driver, since not all apps are able to make usage of hardware
> video acceleration.

	Quite so and all of this is neither Linux nor FreeBSD but rather
the DRI/DRM project which does most of its development work on Linux AFAICT
but is intended to be OS agnostic. Unfortunately this project has the
problem of trying to play catch up with what the video card makers are
doing in their Windows drivers.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>