Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 1996 14:42:09 +0500
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, aat81@dial.pipex.com
Subject:   Re: Are HP DAT drives more unreliable than others?

> From:          Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>

> Sorry, can't give you more real numbers or facts. I'd switch to
> QIC technology if I were you. I think the drives are more robust.
> Tandberg QIC tapes are really fine. I have a 4222 and am very
> satisfied.
>
> Had no problem to read my old 150 MB cartridges, which were written
> with an Archive Vipwer 2525 (a 525MB streamer).
>
> And this drive is really very silent. An additional plus.

I think the primary reason few people use the large QIC drives any
nore is the relatively low capacity of the drives.  525 meg (or even
1 Gig) is not enough for todays multigigabyte servers. The cost of
cartridges is also high relative to DDS or 8mm.
I wonder if the new high capacity TR-4 based SCSI backups are any
good?

Aren't DLT's very reliable?  For high capacity applications, I
thought DLT's were considered best.
When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com