Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 01:47:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        perhaps@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hans@brandinnovators.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Registry reviewers?

Eivind Eklund stands accused of saying:

> > Is this "in general" or "specifically"?
> >
> > The most significant differences are that it uses method-based access
> > to data, ie. the node supplies methods rather than a data pointer, and
> > it tries harder to hide the innards of the data storage from the
> > consumer.
>
> Does it supply inline documentation for each variable?  That is my
> main complain with both the windows registry and sysctl - there is no
> inline docs.

There would be nothing preventing the addition of a method off which
inline documentation could be hung.  Some might argue that there is an
implicit bloat issue here though.  Is it appropriate to have the
documentation, which is primarily a user-space issue, bundled in the
kernel?

(MHO is that it's something one could easily conditionalise and live
with in all but the tightest conditions, but that's just an O, and not
one I expect to fly too well.)

> And where is the code for review?  (And how am I going to find time
> for this?  :)

Realistically, all I hope is that a few people will suck it down and
read the manpage, and of those a few will have something to say.  I'm
aware that this is taking a fairly wide swing away from the
"traditional" Unix model of static configuration data, but we face a
number of challenges which need this sort of flexibility.