Date:      Tue, 23 May 2006 15:41:07 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        mlfbsd <mlfbsd@cognet.ci0.org>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, current@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: md /tmp and async mounts

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 04:30:13PM +0200, mlfbsd wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 04:30:37PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > >
> > > Just overlooked as far as I know.  We correctly switched to not mount=
ing
> > > with softupdates, but should probably switch to -o async.
> >=20
> > Right.  The only reasons why the current tmpmfs_flags doesn't
> > include the `-o async' option too are:
> >=20
> >     a) It didn't back when it was all hardcoded in the script
> >=20
> >     b) I didn't think about adding it by default when revision
> >        1.230 of src/etc/defaults/rc.conf was committed by me
> >=20
> > If it does improve things, we should probably make the change :)
> >=20
>=20
> The sys/dev/md/md.c rev 1.115 commit log says async used to be the defaul=
t,=20
> but was switched off because it was causing deadlocks. Did this get fixed
> since ?

You are confusing mdconfig's -o async mode, used only for vnode
backing (not the case here anyway):

             [no]async
                     For vnode backed devices: avoid IO_SYNC for increased
                     performance but at the risk of deadlocking the entire
                     kernel.

with mount's -o async mode, used at the filesystem layer on any
device.  The latter does not have deadlocks.

Kris
--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC--