Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2018 09:11:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
Cc:        Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve and arp problem

> Bez?glich Daniel Braniss's Nachricht vom 02.04.2018 16:58 (localtime):
>
> ?
> >>
> >> Are you trying to use the HOSTS ip address in the GUEST?
> >
> > the client is using the server?s /usr/local, which is mounted via nfs.
>
> I guess you have reasons to prefer nfs over nullfs.

You can not nullfs mount from inside a bhyve guest the host file
system would be his reason.

> > so I guess the answer is yes.
>
> I don't see how /usr/local is related to IP address assigning...

Yes, this is not any part of this issue, I believe the RP
misunderstood my question.

> ?
> > the guest has only vtnet0 and lo0
> > the ip of the client is obtained via dhcp
> > on the server, there is a bridge, bridge0 and it bridges between the taps and the mxlen0
>
> Hmm, do you assing an IP address to your if_tap(4) interfaces at your
> bhyve-host?

I missed that as a possible, yes, that would cause odd issues.

> if_tap(4) is used for interconnecting bhyve(8)'s virtio-net "backend"
> with the host's host-IP stack via the character device /dev/tapX.
> The if_tap(4) interfaces on the host mustn't get the guest's (clients)
> IP address!  The address must be assigned to the if_vtnet(4) interface
> _inside_ the guest (I call it the front-end of bhyve's virtio-net) ?
> done usually in /etc/rc.conf ? no relation to /usr/local?
>
> But chances are good I misunderstood something, either your setup or
> your results... Else I can't explain what you see other than the above
> scenario.

Is it still true that if you have a bridge hooked to an interface
you must move the IP assignement from the interace device to the
bridge?

Ie in this case here the IP address of the most must be put on
bridge0, and NOT on mlxen0.