Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 22:53:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith)
Cc:        toasty@dragondata.com, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tyan Thunder 2400/i840 SMP no good

As I recall, Mike Smith wrote:
>> It wasn't until after I posted that I realized that I wasn't running
>> -current. I am now, and I've gotten past the boot problems.
>>
>> However, I'm now seeing weird data corruption in RAM, spurious SIGBUS or
>> SIGSEGV's, etc... I've replaced the RAM and CPUs and am still seeing it. I'm
>> going to try a new ram vendor, as well as swapping motherboards next.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this on a similar system? I know the i840 is
>> highly picky when it comes to SDRAM....
>
> Yes.  I've even see this with "high quality" SDRAM; the i840 board I'm
> currently using has some cheap and nasty 64MB DIMMs which work fine, but
> most of the "high quality" parts I've tried have failed miserably.

Does this seem like a problem to anyone besides me?

Given the MoBo's sold at Fry's with the memory sold at Fry's will run
Windows98 without falling over in a way that is not clearly Windows
fault, then we (FreeBSD) will look bad if we can't run on the same
hardware.  We can get some slack by saying we trapped a problem that
would have resulted in an undetected data corruption under WinDoz,
but that only goes so far.

Can we claim (with a straight face) that there is a legitimate reason
FreeBSD is more picky about its hardware platform than Windows/NT
Server?  If it were not, these MoBo/memory configurations would be
being shoved back up the <expletive deleted> of the vendors when
the customers tried to run the software package that is on 90% of
the Intel boxen out there and failed.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net