Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:30:42 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        "Eric A. Davis" <edavis@nas.nasa.gov>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to add new system calls...

Eivind Eklund scribbled this message on Apr 15:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 04:51:08PM -0700, Eric A. Davis wrote:
> >
> > I am working on a project (for McKusick's Adv. Kernel class) that allows
> > user level processes to monitor filesystem activity on a file by file
> > basis.  The application program expresses interest in files by supplying
> > the pathname of a file and a set of events to be monitored.  These events
> > can be create file, delete file, size changed, attributes changed, etc.
>
> YES!  I've been missing this since I left my Amiga 5 years ago!
>
> Does the above imply watching for changes in directories, too?  Ie,
> file added to directory, notification sent...
>
> What level of notification?  Do you get information saying 'file so
> changed atime to XXX'/'file XXX added to directory', or just a flag
> saying 'event so happened on descriptor so'?

personally this is what the poll syscall should be used for... you just
define a few new poll event..  of course there is a problem in that
posix doesn't say you can obtain a fd for a directory like you can
under FreeBSD..

of course I haven't looked at the code, so I'm not sure how feasable
using poll is...

that said, shouldn't there be a way to support more than 32 different
events in poll?

--
  John-Mark Gurney                      Modem Rev/FAX: +1 541 346 9237
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD
	    Don't trust anyone you don't have the source for