Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:17:58 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, dcs@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: FICL breakage...

Joe Abley wrote:

> I don't believe I ever got around to doing it at the time, but I'd
> be more than happy to implement the changes now if (a) someone could
> remind me what the compression logic should be, and (b) someone could
> confirm that these changes haven't already been made :)

AFAIK, you the changes weren't made. Alas, FICL's author, John
Sadler, has optimized the perl script. The main reason for using awk
instead of perl was removing a world dependency on perl. It seems we
are definitely committed to perl nowadays, so it might be better to
just use the newer perl script.

OTOH, if we are still perl-safe, I could send you the newer perl
script, so you can adapt from that.

Mike, what would you prefer?

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	Rule 69: Do unto other's code as you'd have it do unto yours