Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 2004 10:13:16 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Lots broken after upgrading yesterday

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
> Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 17:44:47 -0400
>

> --=-7+P7o/eV5jio9yo7LVX+
>
> On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 17:41, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Sorry! I forgot most everything I should have attached. And it probably
> > doesn't matter.
> >=20
> > After a reboot, things seem to be OK again on the system at hand. I'll
> > try rebooting the other systems later today. After the reboot, the
> > gnome-settings-daemon did not die, but all of my applets were gone from
> > both panels and I had to re-set everything
> >=20
> > The system went through some VERY odd behavior and I am not comfortable
> > with what I see in /usr/lib, but I doubt that it has anything to do with
> > this as I have rebuilt the system. It suddenly could not find shared
> > libraries like libutil and libncurses.
> >=20
> > How all of this weirdness fits together, I can't say, but it seems to be
> > OK again.=20
>
> Probably due to the libbonobo upgrade.  After upgrading libbonobo, you
> need to logout of GNOME, and shut down all daemons before logging back
> in.

Arrgh!!! bonobo-activation bites again! Once I kill it,
gnome-settings-daemon is fine. Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately,
after getting things running again, all of my had to be re-added and
re-positioned. I think they are all back except for the OpenOffice which
seems to have totally disappeared from the Gnome world.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)