Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:53:50 -0800
From:      Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>
To:        Bjoern Groenvall <bg@sics.se>
Subject:   Re: [NFS] Incompatible: FreeBSD 4.2 client, Linux 2.2.18 nfsv3 server, read-only export

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 05:26:54PM +0100, Bjoern Groenvall wrote:
> The RFC does not explicitly mention how to handle read-only file
> systems. I think it would be really nice if the server returns those
> permissions that the client is allowed with the write bits unset.

Yes - for one thing, that means that if some client decides, while it's
asking whether the server whether it can write to a file, to check also
whether it can read from the file, it can get back an answer to both of
those questions, even if the file is on a read-only file system.

> That is also the solution that Guy came up with.

I can't claim credit for the notion of handling ACCESS requests to files
on read-only file systems in that fashion - I just checked what Solaris
did.