Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 22:32:36 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape driver problems

> > On Thursday, 2nd December 1999, Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > >Either the aha code needs to be fixed to allow more s/g entries, or the
> > >bounce buffer code needs to be fixed to allocate things in larger chunks
> > >and thus keep fragmentation down, or we should just abandon these useless
> > >10-year-old ISA SCSI controllers and worry about more useful things. 8)
> >
> > Well, I'm for changing the buffer code or the aha code, whichever makes
> > the most sense at the time.  Unfortunately I don't know that bit of the
> > kernel yet.  But I will eventually work it out because I have too many old
> > ISA SCSI cards to take you up on your last suggestion.
>
> See other mail. I still believe that the AHA driver should work better,
> but it's a low priority item now.

This particular issue is a defect in the bounce-buffering code; the 1542
is limited to 16 or maybe 17 s/g entries.  (We allow 17, the Linux driver
stops at 16.)  This isn't an issue for most things until you get up near
64k, where fragmentation lets you run out of page-sized entries.  I'm not
sure how best we could work around this without clustering pages in
bounce-buffer memory.  If you've got any neat ideas I'll happily file
them for next time someone goes looking at that code.