Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:55:03 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tiny starter configuration for FreeBSD

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 12:42:04PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Is the Walnut Creek distribution "pure" FreeBSD?  That is, they haven't
> "customized" it with other junk in the way that some vendors "customize"
> Windows, right?  I want plain vanilla everything.  Just the basics.  I
> need to be able to log in over the LAN as root (or other users), and play
> with vi and things like that, and be able to transfer files with FTP (the
> simplest way to move data between machines, I think), and so on.  Nothing
> fancy.

Just a small clarification -- there is no 'Walnut Creek' distribution
anymore; in fact I belive that Walnut Creek CDROM no longer exists as a
separate entity.  The most recent FreeBSD release (4.4) was distributed by
WindRiver, but Daemon News (www.daemonnews.org) is taking over this task
for 4.5 and subsequent releases; AIUI they will be the source of the
'official' CDROM distribution sets.

But yes, the WalnutCreek / BSDi / WindRiver / DaemonNews are what you might
call 'pure' FreeBSD.  There isn't really the notion of different
distributions that you have in the Linux world -- FreeBSD is the whole OS
(not just the kernel) -- so you will tend to get the same core OS with more
or less added stuff from different distributors.

As others have said though, if you have the bandwidth, the quickest way to
try it out is to do a network install or download the ISO images and burn
your own CD.

Cheers,

	Scott