Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 00:40:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        cecil suter <lsuter@oklahoma.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: network setup

On 16-Feb-00 cecil suter wrote:
> I am very new to the unix operating system.  How would I go about
> setting up a simple ftp service on my LAN?? Please help me I don't know
> what I am doing.

It depends.  Do you want to setup anonymous ftp, allowing anyone to use
the server, or only allow access to those with user accounts on your
machine?  Or both?

If all you want is restricted, user account access, there's really
nothing to it.  Just make sure the ftp entry in /etc/inetd.conf is not
commented out.  Inetd will automatically spawn a server process whenever
someone tries to connect.

Anonymous ftp is slightly more involved.  The simplest way to set this up
is via /stand/sysinstall.

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/