Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 2014 22:09:22 +0100
From:      Vassilis Laganakos <vassilis@einval.com>
To:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Kenta S." <kentas@hush.com>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Emulation <emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: net-im/skype-[devel] won't connect

--V88s5gaDVPzZ0KCq

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:47:25AM -0500, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Kenta S. <kentas@hush.com> wrote:
> > Hello. This afternoon when I try to sign onto Skype, I get:
> >
> > "Periodic UIC Update Failed"
> >
> > I haven't updated ports recently. Does anyone have an idea?
> > I heard Skype was closing down old versions.
> >
>=20
> I had received the following e-mail from Skype a few days ago:
>=20
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM, Skype <noreply3@emails.skype.com> wrote:
> >
> > Your Skype for Linux version is being retired.
> > Update today. =C2=BB
> > Can't see this email properly? Forgotten your password?
> > Your Skype for Linux version is being retired. Update today.
> > Dear swhetzel,
> >
> > We are now retiring older versions of Skype and it appears that at some
> > point you signed into Skype with one of these. To continue signing into
> > Skype on Linux you'll need to download the latest version. The new
> > version comes with improved performance, the latest features and
> > security updates, so you'll get the best possible Skype experience.
> >
> > If you're on the latest version of Skype, the above will not apply.
> >
> > Update now at http://www.skype.com/download.
>=20
> Someone will need to update the Skype port to the latest Linux version
> and see if it works on our current version of Linux emulation.
>=20

I've read in various places (and tested myself with a couple of version on
Linux) that any version before skype 4.3.0.37 will not connect.

The skype port at: https://github.com/vassilisl/freebsd-ports/tree/master/n=
et-im/skype4
will connect (if you use the f20 ports https://github.com/vassilisl/freebsd=
-linux_base-f20 ;) )
but it doesn't have sound working. Both xmj and I are working on getting
that version of Skype on c6 and f20 linux emulation bases respectivelly,
which basically means get it to talk to pulseaudio.

If anyone has experience with that, please shout! :)

Regards,
Vassilis

> --=20
> DISCLAIMER:
>=20
> No electrons were maimed while sending this message. Only slightly bruise=
d.
rg"
>=20

--=20
    =E2=80=9CPrediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the fut=
ure.=E2=80=9D =20
    =E2=80=95 Niels Bohr

             F5E2 30B5 72BB DB1E EB24  B06F 6986 DE46 E128 CC4A

--V88s5gaDVPzZ0KCq

--V88s5gaDVPzZ0KCq--