Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2022 22:25:32 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        User questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using a FreeBSD desktop was somehting about dog food

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 10:28:10 -0400
Jerry Seibert <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:

> As I see it, FreeBSD will be relegated to the back of the pack for home
> use. I do not know a single business, at least a fortune 500, or any
> municipality that uses FreeBSD for their office PCs. If FreeBSD wants
> to stay relevant in the home market, they need to up their game and

	The "home market" has *never* been the focus of FreeBSD and FreeBSD
has been falling behind in it since around 1993. We've been being told that
FreeBSD is dead and been supplanted by Linux since around 1997. Strangely
the dying FreeBSD project seems to have more resources and more developers
than it did when it was the powerhouse behind Yahoo!, Hotmail, Walnut Creek
CDROM et al.

	FreeBSD makes fine servers and workstations, and has superb long
term maintainability. To me these things are more important than having
support for the latest undocumented hardware. Others have different needs
and values and make different choices.

	What would be the point of making FreeBSD indistinguishable from
Linux or MacOS or Windows or Z/OS or ... Far better that FreeBSD be what it
is and keep on doing what it does best.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>