Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2017 21:16:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PowerEdge r210 II

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> The company I'm working for, decided to put some older rack mount
> servers into dust bin and I'm saving a Dell PowerEdge r210 II with 16
> GByte RAM and 8 CPU of 3.3 GHz as my new poudiere oven. The server has
> no disks (because they must be destroyed). I booted FreeBSD CURRENT
> amd64 from an USB key and have below the dmsg(1) and ifconfig(8)
> output, attached below.
>
> http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/PowerEdge_R210_Tech_Guide.pdf
>
> Any comments about this "project" and any ideas about the disks to buy?
> Thx

That looks like a pretty kick-ass machine. I hope you'll have it in a
server room, or some place away from the general public; seems like it
would be as noisy as a hovercraft.

I've been running FreeBSD on Dells for many years, and I've been happy
with them. It seems to be quality hardware, and easy to work on. I've
had no issues with FreeBSD -vs- the machine. For disks, I like the
Western Digital ones that are labeled as "NAS" - I forget what color
that is. Second choice would be the "surveillance" ones. I have the
impression that both of these are (relatively) high reliability, and
designed for 24/7 operation. I think the "surveillance" drives are
slower than the "NAS" ones.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]