Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:17:48 GMT
From:      Zhaobi Ha <zha8888@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/78837: Partition Table Corruption in 5.3

>Number:         78837
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Partition Table Corruption in 5.3
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
      Partition table damaged after installation.

>How-To-Repeat:
      Hardware: Asus SP-97V motherboard with Pentium-200, 128 M DRAM, 20G Maxtor 92049U3 hard disk (2491 cyl, 255 hd, 63 sec LBA mode), Award 4.51G BIOS with 10/8/98 date.

Before installing FreeBSD, using SuSE linux 6.0 fdisk to partition the HD:

Cyl 1-128, hda1, FAT-16
Cyl 129-256 hda2, Linux Native
Cyl 257-512, hda3, Linux Native
Cyl 513-2491, hda4, Extended
Cyl 513-640, hda5, NT HPFS
Cyl 640-896, hda6, Linux Native
Cyl 897-2491, hda7, NT HPFS

Install Win 98, FreeBSD 4.9, NT 4.0 and SuSE 6.0 on hda1, hda2, hda5 and hda6, respectively.  NT boot manager is installed.  When install FreeBSD 4.9, used slice tool to change the partition type from Linux Native to FreeBSD.  Everything is OK.  The PC can multiboot into any of the installed OSes

Downloaded FreeBSD iso image (2-CD version) from freebsd.org, created boot, kernel #1, #2 and fix-it diskette.  Boot from floppy into sysinstall, deleted the slice hda2 and recreate it under FreeBSD 5.3, selected do not change MBR, disklabeled the "/" and swap under sysinstall, selected Minimal Install plus the following:

kernel source
3.0 compatibility
4.0 compatibility

All file were transfered to hard disk correctly.

But the PC will not reboot.  Use SuSE 6.0 live-eval CD to boot and run fdisk under SuSE 6.0 CD, fdisk showing all previously partitioned boundary changed.

I re-partitioned the HD and went through the entire process, the same problem exists.

To make sure the partition table was not changed during other OS's installation, I run SuSE 6.0's live CD after every OS was installed.  It was after FreeBSD 5.3 was installed, the partition table is corrupted.