Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:08:38 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Mike A <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug Report: IBM x3650M4 (32GB, 2x4-core Xeon E5-2600, IBM ServeRaid M5110e): fails in install with NMI

On Sep 14, 2012, at 6:46 PM, Mike A wrote:

> All the stars finally moved to the right places, and I was able to try =
booting
> from a 9.1 amd64 memstick made from =
FreeBSD-9.1-RC1-amd64-memstick.img. That
> failed, both without and with boot loader hints.=20
>=20
> I had a movie camera running to catch the console message traffic. The =
last
> normal messages on the screen have to do with device mfi0. Here is the =
last
> screenfull:=20

I  had a similar issue on a Dell R720 with 9.0-RELEASE. Turns out it was =
a problem with the built-in RAID card.
Currently there seems to be some sort of overlap or confusion between =
the mpt, mps and in your case mfi driver?

In my case, the card was assigned the mpt driver on 9.0-RELEASE, only to =
crash with a NMI. With 9.1RC, however,
the system assigned the mfi driver and it worked.

If I recall _correctly_,  the mps driver seems to be better for some =
disk controllers that were handled by mfi. I would try
to compile a system without the mfi driver and see if either mpt or mps =
take over and work. It's a long shot, I know,=20
but...

Borja.