Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 22:05:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE (Wolfgang Helbig)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

> >   failure occurs early, for rm -f, because nfs returns ESTALE instead
> >   of ENOENT for (necessarily) failing lookups in the removed directory,
> >   and rm -f doesn't understand ESTALE.
>
> Should it?

No.

A local name cache hit that gets a vnode that references an nfsnode with
a no longer valid verifier, generation count, or inode on the target
system requires a return of ESTALE.

One might better ask if the name cache code should be referenced on
an NFS client without some kind of distributed cache coherency protocol;
but this particular failure mode is not what is happening to you.  Your
failure is a real bug cause by a name cache deletion being omitted.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.