Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2012 08:43:25 -0700
From:      Henrik Andersen <henke.andersen@gmail.com>
To:        cronfy <cronfy@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting the running patch level

Hi all,

You can find the current patch level in /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh ex:
  TYPE=3D"FreeBSD"
  REVISION=3D"8.3"
  BRANCH=3D"RELEASE-p4"

uname -v on the same server:
FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE #0: Mon Apr 9 21:23:18 UTC 2012
root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

If I read the handbook correctly this should always be true on systems
using freebsd-update.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgradin=
g-freebsdupdate.html

Regards,