Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:38:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, jhb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recent kernel hangs on HP DL145 servers

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote this message on Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 13:53 +0000:
>> I updated two boxes to recent kernels from a kernel around October 7 or so,
>> and they now both hang on boot if I have a Neterion 10gbps ethernet card in
>> the PCIe slot. Since I don't have the driver loaded at boot, it seems more
>> likely it's a kernel bug.  Both identical machines now have the following
>> vpd warning during boot, which wasn't present previously, but may be
>> unrelated:
>
> It's very likely you are plagued w/ non-standard PCI cards...
>
> I assume you mean Nov 7th?  If so, there was fix committed for more normal
> bad VPD data (v1.321 of sys/dev/pci/pci.c)...
>
> There is still an outstanding bug of a device that doesn't even properly
> handle VPD accesses and it hang waiting for a bit to clear...  I need to
> inspect the patch closer before committing..

What I mean specifically is that the kernel dated October 7 works fine, and
any more recent kernel hangs solidly if I boot it.  Obviously, this is
somewhat inconvenient. :-)

The device in question is a PCI-X Neterion 10gbps card.  The output from the
kernel when the device driver is loaded is:

Copyright(c) 2002-2005 Neterion Inc.
xge0: <Neterion XframeII 10GbE Adapter, Revision 2, Driver v2.0.0.6765> mem
0xd8300000-0xd8307fff,0xd8400000-0xd84fffff,0xd8308000-0xd83087ff irq 25 at
device 1.0 on pci129
xge0: Device is on 64 bit PCIX(M1) 133MHz bus

If there's more information I can provide I'm happy to do so, just let me know
what's needed.

Is there a way I can disable vpd support at boot-time in some form -- i.e.,
via a tunable?  It would be very useful if these machines worked.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge