Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:23:02 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reason for LINK_MAX set to 32K?

In the last episode (Mar 04), Stephen J. Roznowski said:
> Is there a technical reason why LINK_MAX is set to 32K? Would
> anything bad happen if this value was raised?

Mainly because di_nlink is an int16_t in ufs/dinode.h and ufs/inode.h.
I think it could have been bumped up to an int32_t in UFS2, but it's
probably too late now.  You might be able to change it to a uint16_t to
raise the limit to 64K, but I don't know if the kernel ever relies on a
negative link count at any time.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com