Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:46:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: how to test out cron.c changes? (was: cvs commit: src/etc crontab)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> Hello again.
>
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> > Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue 2001-01-09 (02:14), Doug Barton wrote:
> >
> > 	The point I'm trying (obviously in vain) to make is having cron do what
> > amounts to "slewing its internal clock" will not work for everyone, and
> > violates POLA.
>
> Why won't "slewing it internal close" not work for everyone, I'm not
> trying to be a pain, but I just don't know. Also, what is POLA?

	I've commented in detail in previous messages as to why cron not
sticking to what the system clock tells it is a bad idea. POLA stands for
"The Principle Of Least Astonishment," which means that when you introduce
changes into an established system you should do so in a way that does the
least damage to continuity from one system to another. The FreeBSD project
introducing a variety of cron that departs dramatically from many years of
established behavior would be a POLA violation.

> > 	You (pl.) keep referring to the "We need to hand-hold users who are too
> > stupid to figure this stuff out for themselves" argument. While there are a
> > lot of areas of the system that I try to make simpler and easier to
> > understand, I don't see how we can possibly make this problem foolproof.
> > The universe keeps producing better fools.
>
> I don't consider myself stupid (maybe other's do =) but when I'm admin'ing
> a box, I have a bunch of other things that I'm thinking about and this
> usually falls through the cracks. I have a hard time even remembering when
> the DST shift is so I can change my alarm clock to make it into work at a
> resonable hour.

	With all due respect, we can't change the laws of physics to help
you with this one. :) Time is one of those things that system
administrators have to manage, in more ways than one.