Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2017 04:57:30 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org, rb@sernet.de
Subject:   tracker port

Hi

I was discussing the tracker port with on of the people on it's IRC
channel..

Here's hte transcript, which includes why I need this information...

I have an issue that I may or may not be a bug but need more
infomation to decide.

	it's PROBABLY not a tracker issue, but I need information to assign it..

	firstlym I'm running on FreeBSD

	so that immediately makes my setup unusual.

	I"m still in early stages so I don't know how well it works yet but
we want to do file indexing with Samba...

	|<-- 	slowfranklin has left irc.gnome.org (Quit: slowfranklin)

	julian 	they have added a tracker interface and it is used to give
spotlight support to networked Macs.

	garnacho_ <irc://irc.gnome.org/garnacho_,isnick> 	follows so far

	|<-- 	bastianilso_ has left irc.gnome.org (Quit: bastianilso_)

	julian 	The issue may be just with oackageing, but using the FreeBSD
packages the dependency chain gets huge

	it ends up pringing in gtk3 which in turn brings in libEGL

	(via cairo)

	which brings in of all things the LLVM compiler suite.

	which would see a bit extreme for a file indexer.

	the general discussion seems to be "well it's a gnome product, and
they probably don't care if tracker links with all that stuff

	because htey are expecting to have it all there anyhow"

	So my question is,

	-->| 	slowfranklin (ralph@p5DF56489.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) has joined
#tracker <irc://irc.gnome.org/%23tracker>

	julian 	"do the authors of tracker expect it to be generally useful
without the entire rest of the gnome desktop present?"

	garnacho_: not sure how much you know about the packaging and
linkages expected.

	garnacho_ <irc://irc.gnome.org/garnacho_,isnick> 	julian: the tracker
source tarball also contains some UI apps, most namely the preferences
dialog and a demo UI. Those can be disabled with the
--disable-tracker-preferences and --disable-tracker-needle toggles

	julian: there's been talks to split tracker sources so the
dependencies are straightened out, the plans didn't get to realize as
soon as I'd hope...

	julian 	ok, so I"ll have to look at the configuration ans discuss it
with the maintainer of the FreeBSD port

	we may need to create tow packages .. one for use by gnome nad one
for external use.

	tow -> two

	garnacho_ <irc://irc.gnome.org/garnacho_,isnick> 	julian: fwiw,
debian manages to split tracker into daemon/miners/ui, each having the
minimal set of dependencies. So it's not impossible fro