Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 2000 14:24:02 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
Cc:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lint

In message <20001205111025.I22946@moose.bri.hp.com> Steve Roome writes:
: In comparison to a real-world compiler, It was a complete load of junk.

[[ I know I trimmed this a lot, sorry if I've lost too much context ]]

That's the problem with many of the free or semi-free alternatives to
gcc.  They are junk or, put more politely, aren't up to building all
of FreeBSD.

It took gcc years and years to get to the point of generating a stable
kernel.  When I started following it in 1985 or so it was good enough
to do many userland programs, but produced buggy code for the kernel.
It was a recurring goal to be able to build a kernel and complete
system with it.  It wasn't until 1989 or 1990 that it hit this on a
regular basis.

It takes a very long time to create a cmopiler that is robust for the
real world.  It is a huge effort, one that most free software writers
do not have the time or resources to do.

Warner